We're talking about how MKBHD (AKA Marques Brownlee) went from an unknown creator to the dominant YouTube tech review channel with 6.5 million subscribers by sticking to 3 simple video types over a stretch of 1,000 videos.
Go check out the episode summary: http://sixstarsonly.com/16
• Subscribers: 6.65M • Views: 992M • Videos: 1.04K
• He didn’t start out with flashy tech • You can go all the way back and see his 13 year old golf swing analysis video • Then a review of his family’s remote control to the computer • then some lackluster tutorials for camstudio and the built-in windows calculator app • It wasn’t until about 380 videos into the channel that the video content and style even becomes vaguely recognizable as the tech-review heavy titan it would one day become. The video after he unboxes his first DSLR camera.
• Generally Smartphone reviews. • 76 of his top 100 videos are about smartphones • 12 out of his top 20 all-time most popular videos are iPhone reviews.
1) OnePlus 6 Review 2) Apple iPhone X Unboxing 3) iPhone 7 Unboxing
Reviews: 135 Videos Top 5’s: 59 Videos First Impressions: 54 Videos Explained!: 49 Videos Ask MKBHD: 31 Videos Dope Tech: 18 Videos
• Unboxing = novelty • Shocking explainer = Teach me something • Review = Interpretation of research + taste + personality • Interview = exclusive access
• RED Weapon Monstro ($54,500) • Canon EOS C200 ($8,399) • Sony a7R III ($2,998) • About 10 assorted lenses, few wide angle, macro, sony, canon cine lenses ($19,933 total) • shotgun microphone: ennheiser MKH416-P48U3 Super-Cardioid Shotgun Tube Condenser Microphone + Sanken lav ($1,350) • Field mixer ($3,328) • Slider & Tripods ($3,577)
Total Gear Cost: ~$94,000
Loved this show? It would make our month (wait, no, our YEAR) if you left us a 5-star review on iTunes. ⭐⭐⭐⭐🌟
You can hit Matt Woods up on Twitter: https://twitter.com/matopher
Connect with Jake on Twitter: https://twitter.com/jakearenot